Policygenius is America's #1 independent online insurance marketplace. Save money on life insurance, disability insurance, health insurance, pet insurance and more.
POLICYGENIUS REVIEW AT A GLANCE
- Free quotes in minutes
- Easy process, expert support
- Low insurance rates
- Compare rates from top providers
Best insurance quote marketplace
Pros & Cons
Isn't shopping for insurance frustrating?
Whether it’s something as complex as life insurance or as simple as travel insurance, you can’t find a decent quote at a decent price without spending hours online.
Even worse, once you hand over your personal information in exchange for a quote, you’re bombarded with a million phone calls from insurance brokers and life insurance companies who want your business.
It sucks, right?
But what if there was a better way to shop for insurance? A way that:
- Saved you a ton of time,
- Was hassle-free,
- Made shopping for insurance a breeze, and;
- Didn’t force you to endure a million sales calls once you got a quote.
Wouldn’t that be a dream? Well guess what…
There is a site out there that promises all of this (and more!). It’s called Policygenius—and it lets you compare hundreds of different insurance companies at once to find the best quote at the best price.
Below we’ll tell you all about Policygenius, so you’ll know exactly where to go next time you need an insurance policy.
Offerings: Insurance quotes
Fees: Free to use
Promotion: No current promotions
What Is Policygenius?
Policygenius is a comparison tool that allows you to search through hundreds of insurance companies at once to compare quotes side by side.
Once you’ve found a quote, Policygenius doesn’t just pass you off to an insurance company and call it quits. Instead, they walk you through the application process from start to finish.
Think of it like Kayak.com—but for insurance.
Policygenius is an independent insurance broker. It isn’t affiliated with any insurance company, so you can have confidence knowing you’re receiving honest, unbiased advice and recommendations.
As of 2021, Policygenius has helped over 30 million people get insurance. They have a 4.8 out of 5-star customer 'Excellent' rating on Trustpilot, and they feature on Inc.’s 2021 Best Places To Work list (and have done since 2018).
Why Was Policygenius Created?
Remember earlier when we were wondering why shopping for insurance is so gosh-darn frustrating?
Turns out, the founders of Policygenius—Jennifer Fitzgerald and Francois de Lame—were wondering the same when they started the company.
After doing some research, they discovered that finding insurance usually looks something like this:
- You spend countless hours researching insurance companies and filling out quotes.
- You sort through those quotes, read the fine print, and decide which one you’ll buy.
- You fill out a mountain of paperwork to begin your policy.
- Once you’re insured, you’re still not 100% sure you did it right.
It’s a hot mess.
So, Policygenius set out to simplify the insurance shopping experience and empower people to make decisions with confidence.
- They built a comprehensive content library full of everything you need to know about insurance.
- They created an Insurance Checkup tool to let you know if you’re missing any important policies.
- They designed a way for you to shop for all types of insurance—from home, life, and auto down to jewelry, travel, and identity theft.
Types Of Insurance Offered
Policygenius offers an extensive list of insurances through its website.
Not all of these insurances are available in every state, so you’ll need to enter your zip code on their website to know what’s specifically available to you.
In general, though, they offer the following insurance policies through their site:
How Does Policygenius Make Money?
Policygenius is completely free for you to use. There aren’t any fees associated with their services. Which begs the question… How does Policygenius make money?
The site makes a commission every time a customer submits an application and gets approved for an insurance policy. What this means for you is:
You don’t pay any extra when you find a policy through Policygenius – (the price you see online is the price you pay)
Their commission isn’t added on top of existing insurance prices – (insurance is heavily regulated, so it doesn’t cost you extra money to choose a policy through Policygenius. Commission is baked into the price)
Their commission is about the same across all insurance companies – (they aren’t tempted to sell you certain insurance products because they make the same amount of money off them all)
What Do Customers Say About Policygenius?
Most of Policygenius’s reviews are on Trustpilot—a site where you can only leave a review once your purchase is verified.
The site has a 4.8 out of 5-star rating based on nearly 3,000 reviews. Only 2% of the reviews are below 3-stars. (Glowing—in my opinion.)
Most customers point out that Policygenius is “shockingly easy” and “quick and painless.” And the reviews apply for all insurance products - there are delighted customers with everything from a new whole life insurance policy through to homeowners insurance.
Other customers note Policygenius’s exceptional customer service claiming everyone who works there is friendly, patient, and able to break complex topics down into plain language.
Check out some of their most recent reviews below.
The Benefits Of Getting Insurance Through Policygenius
There are many benefits to getting an insurance policy through Policygenius. When you shop with this site, it:
- Provides a quick and easy way to shop for insurance. No matter the type of insurance you need, Policygenius is a one-stop shop that allows you to sort through providers and prices in a matter of minutes.
- Helps you shop around if your approved price is higher than your quoted price. If an insurance company comes back to you after the underwriting process and tells you you’ll pay more than the quoted price, Policygenius will help you shop around for another provider.
- Has licensed advisors on hand. If you run into any snags while shopping around for insurance, a live person is available to walk you through the process.
- Collects more information from you than most sites. Policygenius is able to give you a more accurate quote than other sites because they collect as much info from you as possible before they give you a quote. (These added details help you avoid surprises once you choose a policy.)
How Do I Get Started With Policygenius?
There are two ways to get started with Policygenius:
Take The Insurance Checkup Quiz
If you don’t know what types of insurance you need, start by taking the Insurance Checkup quiz.
This quiz makes product recommendations based on your age, lifestyle, net worth, current coverage, and more.
To get started:
Go to the Policygenius website, hover over Compare Insurance Quotes, and click Insurance Checkup.
2. Click Get Started.
3. Fill out your personal information on the next few pages. (You can scroll through the screenshots below to see what types of questions you’ll answer.)
4. Read through your To-Do List and start shopping around. (The To-Do List is split up into three categories: policies you need now, policies you’ll need soon, and policies you don’t need to worry about.)
Shop For A Specific Type Of Insurance
If you know what type of insurance you need, you can skip #1 and instantly start shopping for insurance.
Instructions will vary by the type of insurance you’re applying for. As an example, here’s how you’d shop around for life insurance.
1. Go to the Policygenius website and click Life.
2. Click Continue.
3. Select if you want Less Support or More Support. (Less Support means you don’t want to speak with an advisor. More Support means a human will contact you.)
4. Go through the steps and fill out your personal information including your health history and coverage needs.
5. Review your quotes until you find one that suits you. Once you find a policy, follow the prompts to submit an application for approval.
I Applied For Insurance Through Policygenius. Now What?
Once you’ve applied for insurance and been approved, there are a few things you can do to take full advantage of your new policy:
1. Contact customer service. If you have any questions or concerns, Policygenius’s customer service representatives are available to talk to you. (If you have questions about the specifics of your policy, it may be best to contact your insurer.)
2. Set up recurring payments. Once you make your first insurance payment, have it automatically taken out of your bank account every month. This saves you time and reduces the likelihood of your coverage lapsing due to missed payments.
3. Apply for other policies. Refer back to the To-Do List you received when you did the Insurance Checkup through Policygenius. Are you lacking insurance coverage somewhere else? If so, shop around for a quote.
Why Should I Use Policygenius?
Let’s face it… shopping around for insurance is a hassle. It takes up a massive amount of time and energy (time and energy that you just don’t have).
Plus, shouldn’t shopping for insurance be something you can easily tackle on your lunch break or after you put the kids to bed?
We think so—and that’s why we love Policygenius.
Policygenius only works with reputable insurance companies that have sound financial ratings. As an independent broker, they provide transparent, no-strings-attached information so you can easily decide which policies are best for you.
They don’t sell your information. They don’t push products you don’t need. They just offer an easy-to-navigate site to help you choose the right insurance coverage for you and your loved ones.
And, if for some reason an insurance company approves you for a policy price that’s more than the quote, Policygenius will help you shop around for a new insurer. (I can tell you, this isn’t something your insurance company would do for you.)
Also, you can look at the specific requirements of a policy before you commit. For instance, you'll be able to see whether term life insurance policies require a medical exam - or whether jewelry insurance is covered by your homeowners insurance.
With a site like Policygenius, you really have nothing to lose when using their site.
Noteworthy Policygenius Features
Policygenius offers a comprehensive Insurance Checkup tool that’s truly one of a kind.
Answer a few questions and Policygenius will tell you what types of insurance you need and don’t need. They even present the information in a To-Do List format so you know which insurances you need to tackle first.
Policygenius is on a mission to educate consumers on everything you could ever need to know about the insurance world.
Their site features life and disability insurance calculators, tips for bundling home & auto insurance, real interviews with Policygenius customers, info on renters insurance, reviews of the top life insurance companies, what to look for from a life insurance policy, and much more.
If you ever have a question about insurance (even if you’re not shopping around for a policy) their website is the perfect resource to use.
I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again—Policygenius has stellar customer service and nearly 3,000 reviews on Trustpilot to prove it.
If you have a question or concern, pick up the phone and give them a call. The Policygenius customer service team is available every day from 9:00am - 9:00pm ET. You can call them at 1-855-695-2255And if you don’t want to call, you can also live chat them or shoot them an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who Is Policygenius Right For?
Policygenius might be good for you if you’re:
- Shopping for insurance and have no clue where to start,
- Need recommendations on what insurance is best for you,
- Want to compare insurance quotes side by side, and
- Like the option of having a professional to answer questions if you have them.
Policygenius saves you time and headache as you don’t have to search through hundreds of websites to find a quote.
Plus, they’ll never sell your information. You can search for insurance without having to worry about insurance brokers calling you afterward.
Have questions about shopping for insurance? We answered your burning questions below.
What is the best insurance comparison site?
How do I compare auto insurance side-by-side?
What types of insurance do I need?
Should You Use Policygenius?
Policygenius is changing the way we shop for insurance—and they’re totally transparent and upfront about how they do it.
- They help you find an affordable policy you can buy with confidence (through their accurate quoting algorithms).
- They educate you on everything you need to know about insurance (thanks to their robust education center).
- And they’re right there with you through every step of the insurance buying process (whether you want help via live chat, a phone call, or email).
No matter what insurance policy you’re in the market for, Policygenius is the place to find it.
Have questions we didn’t cover in this review? Drop them in the comments below.
- Editor Rating
- Rated 4.5 stars
- Reviewed by:
- Published on:
- Last modified:
I’m Cassidy Horton, a personal finance freelance copywriter. I craft action-worthy content for financial services companies. My #1 goal is helping people break the paycheck-to-paycheck cycle and experience financial freedom.